Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Getting Started!



I've owned my Oval since 1990. I picked it up in the mountains of Arkansas rather abandoned and covered in weeds. Over the last 17 years I've searched for parts for her, and kept her tucked away ready to some day restore. I'd like to say I finally have the money to do it right - but I don't. So we're going to get started and do everything "right" and hope the money works itself out in the end. (Them are dangerous words!)




In December of 2006 we moved her from my garage to my friend and mechanic's garage. I took storage two of his Karmann Ghias in exchange for letting us work in his nice heated workshop. Stripping has begun of all of the parts to determine what metal is good and what needs to be replaced. We've spent a couple of hours already cleaning up and carefully removing rubber and fixing seal channels.




After nearly 17 years the hard work is finally just beginning, and if all goes well I will be documenting most of it here!

No comments: